Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 or R6.2?
From: jackson105@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:19:52 -0700

I have owned a M3, M4-P, and a R4sP system and IMHO the R system is
better for landscape photography.  What you see is what you get if you
use the DOF lever.  I have used the M system and you can not tell what
the DOF is and have to rely on the DOF marks on the lens.  Also using a
polarizer on a M system is a big pain, even though it can be done.
Fred Jackson
jackson105@juno.com

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:23:30 -0500 Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
writes:
>At 03:43 PM 9/17/98 +0800, you wrote: <br>
>Do you think the photographic fans would prefer a Leica M, just like
>the
>real computer fans prefer a Mac but not Windows? <br>
>I am a novice to photography, in several weeks I have to decide what I
>should buy, an M6 or a R6.2. Now I have a Nikon 90x, so I don't think
>need another auto R8. I'd like to forcus more on landscape photos.
>Could
>you or any other persons could give me some suggestions?
>That's something you have to answer for yourself. But if you don't
>need
>to sell your Nikon (not terribly reliable camera at that) then a Leica
>M6
>would be a much more complementary camera to the Nikon system. But
>optical quality should have no place at all in your decision.
>Functionality should. Leica R lenses are every bit as good as M
>lenses.
>They just seem to be out of sequence for updating. Right now the M
>system
>is getting the great ASPH lenses, while the R system is getting great
>zooms. That will change in the future, no doubt.<br>
>The M system will suit you if you want a quiet camera, that's less
>noticeable in most situations, and if you like to shoot available
>light
>with fast, wide lenses. If you like ultra-wides, and long lenses, or
>macro, the R system should be your choice. Though ultra-wide not
>because
>there aren't ultra-wide M lenses, but because they're easier to
>control,
>and more precise in composition. And if you don't mind not seeing
>precise
>compositions in terms of near/far relationships, then the M system is
>great. But if you are very careful of your compositions, then you
>probably want to stick with SLRs. It's up to you to figure this one
>out.
>All we can do is give you our perspective.<br>
>The M6 takes a while to get used to. Most people need to give it at
>least
>a year. But since you're new to photography, it might not take as long
>as
>us long-time SLR users when we bought an M camera for the first
>time.<br>
>Whichever way you go, you can't lose. Either system is superb and cuts
>the finest image on film that there is. (Disclaimer for nit-pickers:
>In
>35mm).<br>
>EUDORA=AUTOURL>http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch</a></div>
>If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]