Subject: [Leica] Re: autofocus
From: Tommy Olsson <tommy.olsson@reporters.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:09:59 +0200

>Boy, did I curse for not having AF at that moment.
>On the other hand, of all my films shot during our holiday in the Italian
>Alps, not a single shot was missed due to inaccurate focusing or
>inaccurate exposure (using a mix of zone metering and spotmetering).
>So it really all depends on the subject. AF would be a major bonus in
>about 10% of my shots, especially fast moving subjects (like playing
>children or squirrels...) and indoor-shootings in low light where it is
>not always easy to focus precisely (the M6 rangefinder is much easier for
>that kind of shots), and I often just rely on the distance settings on
>the lens barrel (luckily enough, these settings are quite accurate on
>Leica lenses).
>
>Pascal

Are you sure autofocus would solve the problem?
Ok, maybe I don't know so much about this, I use an EOS 500N (but longing
for a Leica, sigh) and that camera's autofocus is not very fast. In fact, I
have missed several shoots just because it didn't focus fast enough. Maybe
EOS 1 is so much faster that it actually does solve the problem. I have
heard other people complaining about slow autofocus in general though, so
maybe there is something to it.
On the other hand, perhaps I am only backwards, but I don't like being so
heavily dependent on electronics (says the EOS-owner! <g>)

Cheers LUGers!

/Tommy

Tommy Olsson
biologist and freelance science journalist
member of the International Science Writers Association

Address:
Vrakgrand 7 B
S-783 31  SATER
Sweden