Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens wt vs finish->Now question about titanium
From: Rick Floyd <rick_floyd@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 07:11:52 -0400

I don't mean to be argumentative.  But I think it's a plasma rather than a
vapor and I think you mean 10 to 100 micron.

Bruce:

I didn't take your response as being argumentative.  However, let me be more
complete in my response and our discussion.  What we are really talking about
is Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) processes.  In other words, a deposition
process in which atoms or molecules of material are vaporized from a solid or
liquid, transported in the form of a vapor through a vacuum or low pressure
environment, and condensed on a substrate.

PVD processes consist of the following techniques:
 1. vacuum evaporation
 2. sputter deposition in a plasma environment
 3. sputter deposition in a vacuum
 4. ion plating in a plasma environment with a thermal evaporation source
 5. ion plating in a plasma environment with a sputtering source
 6. vacuum ion plating or ion beam assisted deposition (IBAD)in a vacuum
environment with a thermal evaporation source and ion bombardment from an ion
gun.
(See: Metal Finishing Handbook '97 - PVD Processes by Donald Mattox - Society
of Vacuum Coaters - pg399)

PHEWWWWWW!  But, as you can see from above, all are vapor deposition
techniques of which some will use a plasma.  You are probably correct in
assuming the use of a plasma technique with titanium.  But it is not always
the case.

By the way, a micrometer IS a micron.  See the same reference book above, on
page 812 for verification.

My company makes two glow discharge (plasma) optical spectrometers for
quantitative depth profiling of coatings on substrate materials.

Best Regards,
Rick