Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens wt vs finish->Now question about titanium
From: Rick Floyd <rick_floyd@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:06:30 -0400

Bruce R. Slomovitz wrote:

> Maybe your friend the machinist is talking about exotic steel alloys.
> Titanium is certainly more costly than, say stainless steel.
>
> Bruce S.

I'm with you on this one, Bruce.  I'd happily trade every ounce of steel in my
new car for an equivalent amount (based on weight) of titanium.  You and I
could buy LOTS of Leica equipment with the profits.

To keep this on topic, I can appreciate the financial affairs of Leica in
these trying times.  Look at the cost of most metals today.  Nickel, for
instance, is selling for less than the cost of production.  I've got an
associate with 50,000 pounds of high purity nickel that he can't even afford
to sell.

No matter how we all feel about the presidental situation, I'm afraid the U.S.
is headed in the general direction that Leica has seen the Asia market.  It
may be slow times (for me, anyway) ahead for any new Leica purchases.

Best,
Rick