Subject: Re: [Leica] LUGging on from anywhere (off-topic)
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:53:03 +0200

On 20-09-1998 10:42 Alex Hurst wrote:

>1)How do you do it?
>
>2) What's the best software to use (bearing in mind I'm a Mac freak?)
>
>All help gratefully received via private email to avoid clogging up the LUG.

Quite easy, Alex.

You already have the best OS available on the marketplace. I would
normally say: get the latest version, which is 8.1 (8.5 is coming in a
few months). But for that to work, you'll need at a Mac with Motorola
PowerPC processor. As you say you have an "ancient Mac", dependent on the
type, you'll have to stick to at best to 7.5.5 (machines with 32bit
"dirty" processors like the SE/30), or 7.6.1 (all newer 680X0 types up to
PowerPC).

My latest Mac PowerBook G3 works, of course, on 8.1 where all necessary
internet tools are included. Setting up is just a matter of a couple of
minutes. On the iMac it is even easier, or so I hear ;-)

One of my old Mac's is the PowerBook 140 (68030 processor), and this one
works happily on 7.6.1. I believe the internet tools came on the MacOS
7.6 CD-ROM. Anyway, it works fine on Open Transport 1.1.1 and OT/PPP 1.0.

As far as software is concerned:
- - e-mail: use Claris Emailer (version 1.1.3 is free, current version
2.0.3 is commercial) or Eudora Lite (free) /Pro (commercial) or even
Internet News and Mail (MS Explorer suite version 3) or Outlook Express
(MS Explorer suite version 4). Netscape Communicator 4 is too slow on my
old PowerBook 140.
- - websurfing: Netscape Communicator or Internet Explorer. On my PowerBook
G3 I am using Netscape Communicator 4.03 and 4.5 preview 2 release, and
as for testing my webpages, Internet Explorer 4.01.
On older machines, like the PowerBook 140, I have found out that it pays
not to use Communicator 4 (too demanding for the processor). You would
better stick to the older Netscape Navigator 3 or even Internet Explorer
3 or 4.

As far as an ISP is concerned: there are only two real global solutions
on the globe:
- - Compuserve (http://www.csi.com), but be expensive in some regions
(hourly charges in Europe)
- - America Online (http://www.aol.com), but with all the disadvantages of
the AOL service and their network is not worldwide
- - IBM Global Network (http://www.ibm.net), the only true global internet
access solution (no own services, you get direct internet access).

I am using the latter and it works flawlessly. Not the cheapest around,
but very reliable (after all, it is IBM !) and you can log in with you
usual settings (only changing the local phone number) at any POP around
the world. Believe me, their network is very substantial. Check it on
their webpages.

Please do not hesitate to e-mail me for more info on any of these aspects!

With Mac-friendly regards,

Pascal
Belgium

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r