Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and Pricing
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:33:08 +0200

The Apo-Telyt opens at f4 doesn't it ?
At Würzburger Fotoversand, the Apo-Telyt is quoted at 7,748 DM  but the
"equivalent" should be the Zeiss Tele-Tessar f4, which sells at 3,198
DM... The Tele-Tessar is not very highly regarded by Zeiss users and is
an old design. It is one of those lenses which keeps Contax in its own
marginal niche. But still f4 is f4, and these are the ones to compare on
the price criterium. An ideal world might be Leica lenses at Zeiss
prices.....

Besides lens prices, the pricing of SLR bodies does not help potential
customers stepping in either. If one wants a new body, the choice is
limited to the R8 and R6.2, more or less at the price of a EOS-1n +
booster. Leica used to have a lower entry point with the R-E. Today, the
candidate R user must weigh price/risks with R3/4/5 2nd hand offers,
which do not have a very good reliability reputation, even on this list,
and which are very low-key spec wise. An entry-level body with
contemporary specs (à la Aria) would help people like me giving a try to
the system: with 1 or 2 2nd hand lenses and 1 or 2 of the more
affordable new ones, it would not seem as crazy as it does now. The
production of such a body could easily be outsourced. I mean, it could
even be a really cheap lens holder, like the Yashica FX-3 or the Cosina
variations...Some sign of encouragment to step in...

What is the price of a Leica 300mm f2.8 ? Does that exist ?

Alan.