Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens comparison: 3.5cm Summaron SM;;50mm Summicron R
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:57:52 -0400

James-
Two reasons for the 'soft' quality of the Summaron.
One- like my Summitar, and Elmar lenses, there is a slight but noticeable
'haze' from age, lube, or just plain atmospheric crud. I am having the Elmar
cleaned at Focal Point, and will see then if the 'haze' had anything to do
with it. I did notice that the Xenotar on my old Rollei sharpened noticeably
after They recemented, cleaned and recoated the lens!
Two- the older Leitz lenses were computed by hand. Ernst Leitz, I read,
hired mathematics teachers in the Summer to calculate the lens formulae for
his lenses. One reason they were pre-eminent then, and I guess now, was that
they were very carefully calculated, even before the days of computers to do
the number crunching. As is anything done by hand, it will reflect the
'touch' of the maker. Possibly the Summaron calculations, if done today by a
computer, might result in a sharper, more refined/defined image. As someone
said, Leitz does not intentionally design an unsharp lens.
Personally I prefer the first theory, but until I get my Elmar back, and can
compare it with the Summicron and Summitar, I will reserve judgement. In the
meantime, I just lean back and enjoy using the IIIf and laugh at people
looking and shaking their little plastic point 'n shoots that are guaranteed
to last for at least 30 days!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com