Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens comparison: 3.5cm Summaron SM;;50mm Summicron R
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:36:03 -0700

Dear James,
I had a similar experience recently with my 3.5cm Sumaron. I was
photographing some work for an artist using a strobe setup indoors. when I
printed my contacts I was surprised to find that some of the negs were quite
dark and low in contrast. I realized they were the shots where I used the
Sumaron. The Sumicron 5cm shots were remarkably sharp and high in contrast.
In fact, the artist who looked at them picked them as "better" than those
taken under the same conditions with a 121 Super Angulon on 4 X5 film. She
knew nothing about cameras or what camera was used. She just liked the
Sumicron shots best. I am inclined to agree with her. But after reading your
post I examined my Sumaron by shining a pen light through it. Although the
front and rear sufaces are clean, it is milky and yucky on some of the inner
surfaces. It's going off to be cleaned. If that doesn't provide the quality
I want, then it's time for a new 35 mm Sumicron. Try shining a light through
your lens and see if it isn't cloudy.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson