Subject: [Leica] T-max vs. Tri-X
From: Stephen Kobrin <skobrin@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:56:27 -0700 (PDT)

I visited a friend in St. Louis this weekend who does beautiful B&W
work, especially in-context portraits.  She argued strongly that the
tonal range and reproduction of Tri-X cannot be matched by T-Max 100
or 400 and that the more visible grain is a trade-off gladly taken. I
must say her prints were spectacular.

I find that with my scanner and current printer I cannot go much
beyond 5X7; by 8X10 the image clearly looks electronic.  That being
the case, grain may not be that much of an issue.  Also, from what I
read, Tri-X is much easier to handle than T-Max.

Any opinions about this on the LUG?

Steve