Subject: [Leica] IIIf
From: Stephen Kobrin <skobrin@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:10:10 -0700 (PDT)

At 01:48 PM 9/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'd like to start carrying around my IIIf more, and I have some
questions about its "ease of use."

I use my IIIf regularly and love it, but have given up on any lens
other than my 50mm Summitar.  The advantage of the IIIf is its
compactness -- it is easy to take anyplace.  Adding other focal
lengths means an external viewer and, unless you are willing to guess,
a separate meter.  (I have a small Leicameter mounted on top.) Once
you go to viewers and multiple lenses, you might as well carry an M2
or 3 which is much easier to use.

That being said, I find that the IIIf is a jewel and a real pleasure
to carry and use.  While film loading can be a bear, I tend to have
more problems properly engaging the sprockets than trimming the
leader.  I use a small scissors or knife and just err on the long
side.

That brings up a more general point.  Much of the discussion on the
LUG involves the M6 and the newest lenses.  I wonder how many of us
use older Leicas with lenses of the same vintage regularly.  I use
the IIIf and an M3 and my "newest" lens is a DR Summicron of late 60s
vintage.  While I have no doubts that the newer lenses are much
superior  in terms of contrast, detail and color rendition, I like the
using the older equipment.

Now, if collectors would just stop driving up prices  :)

Steve