Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions: IIIf in everyday use
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:11:59 -0400

>SHUTTER/APERTURE SCALES:

I usually "guestimate" the variance with the non-standard numbers and this
works well.

>USE WITH 35MM FOCAL LENGTH:

The Leica Summaron is very small and light (except for the last version
with the 39mm front) and quite good. I often use a Nikon f2.5 as well. I
used to own a Canon f2 (black, last version) and I wish I hadn't sold it.
It was terrific.

>I have the hotshoe-mountable external viewfinder, but it's big and

I prefer the Leica BL finder. It is bright, clear and expensive, but I the
best I've used. The Imarect is too large and the Canon is undistinguished.
Nikon made a tiny one that would fit into an ER case while sitting in the
hot shoe, but it is also expensive and squinty too boot!

>M LENSES ON IIIF BODY
>
>Yes, I know -- it just doesn't work that way.

Well yes it can--sort of. I have an SA in M mount that has a small screw I
can remove and then unscrew the bayonet, leaving a screw mount lens. I hear
some early M 35 Summicrons are like this too. Early 90 Summicrons have a
screw mount under a glued on M bayonet. These can be removed if enough
force is applied. (I sure wish I could do this with my 75 Summilux!)

Cheers!

kw

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>