Subject: Re: [Leica] T-max vs. Tri-X
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:00:30 -0500

At 12:56 PM 9/23/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I find that with my scanner and current printer I cannot go much
>beyond 5X7; by 8X10 the image clearly looks electronic.  That being
>the case, grain may not be that much of an issue.  Also, from what I
>read, Tri-X is much easier to handle than T-Max.

Your friend needs to try TMax 100 and 400 with Unicolor's Press Maxx
developer. TMax grain with Tri-X tonality. It's absolutely gorgeous. And
very inexpensive too.

Tri-X is great stuff, but I think TMax films can match Leica lenses better
when high image quality also includes sharpness and lack of grain. It does
take more careful handling. Such as making sure all fluids for processing
are all within a couple degrees of each other, including photo flo and
wash. Agitation is much more critical. Just be consistent.

And be willing to reduce development time if highlights are hot. Shadows
won't suffer until you have highlights that are too flat.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that it has never tried to contact us.

Calvin and Hobbes