Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-X; Kodak Films
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 23:47:10 -0400

Someone asked about Tri-x and tonality. I agree it's great. If properly
developed and printed, I find the beautiful tones of Tri-x far outweigh the
slight cost in grain compared to Tmax 400.  I don't think you'd see much
difference just scanning for monitor display, though.

Tri-X for 10 minutes in D-76 1+1 is pretty basic, and pretty hard to beat.

By the way, Kodak lists new products unveiled at Photokina at:
www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/events/photokina98/professional.shtml

There's the anticipated new transparency film, E100SV, that promises
increased saturation. The lab I use did some tests on prototypes of this
film that seem pretty good. It's in addition to the other E100 emulsions.
Also, there's a new Portra line of color neg stuff, supposedly matched
between speeds for easy printing.

Anybody tried this stuff?

Bill Welch