Subject: Re: [Leica] A very long trip response.
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:57:00 -0700

Hi Jim,

Great report, keeps life interesting with a Leica on the road. Thanks for
taking the time and keeping the trip log up to date .

<<<<For the rest of the trip, the R7's didn't see the light of day. My M6
was, however, my constant companion.>>>>>

As above re "constant companion" I too carried my M6, Tom's Rapidwinder and
red soft release everywhere after my R8 disappeared at the aquatics events.
I actually used it more for colour slide material than B&W, a strange
practice for me as normally I shoot only B&W in M cameras other when doing
something special requiring f1 of the Noctilux.

Surprisingly I did rather well with the M6 and slides, but never had the
same "colour feeling" as I do when working with the R7's or R8 (now resting
in Kuala Lumpur with someone who has no idea what the value is that they
stole) Hell, the M6  never left my shoulder even when I went to the loo.
Had strange looks from fellow "standees when I arrived to attention" camera
on shoulder! :)

<<<<>I was wearing a Photo Vest that I bought through the Hammacher Schlemmer
>mail order catalog. It's made by Woolrich.>>>>>>

One of the neat things when you cover international sports as the
Commonwealth and Olympics, accredited photographers invariably receive new
photo vests as part of the Canon or Kodak goodies hand out.

Because I wasn't shooting, but there as an advisor for positioning media
photographers at the sports venues, I missed out on the above. However, not
to be out done the people whom I was working for supplied me with "3 tailor
made photo vests!" Damn, I had so much stuff I had to buy two new bags to
bring things home. A real bonus, now I have to stay working as a
photographer for another 30 years to use up the photo vests! :)

<<<<<<<But some of the gripes and comments from attending LUGGERS were
humorous. You sure see individual agendas come out. "If you look at the
images of HCB and the like, they are sharp and great, why are you wasting
time designing these APO and ASPH lenses, to obtain the utmost in image
quality, when it's clear that the old lenses worked just fine?" I don't
know who said that, but that, and similar meaningless statements/questions
were offered.>>>>>>>

Jim, much like the Canadian team photographers being interviewed by Kodak
about their films and what we'd like to see (Kodachrome 1000 with the same
look as Kodachrome 64!) :)  And one guy pipes up to the Kodak rep "what do
you think of Konica film verses Kodak?" The three of us nearly threw him
out the window, simply because, if we said all the right things, we were in
for a large measure of complimentary Kodak film and this idiot brings up
something stupid like that.

Quite frankly the kina comment you referred to  ""If you look at the images
of HCB and the like, they are sharp and great, why are you wasting time
designing these APO and ASPH lenses, to obtain the utmost in image
quality,"  Are precisely why Leica  "___don't pay attention____" to what
LUGNUTS say!!! Not all of them, but one has to admit we see some pretty
dumb things on here at times and for a LUGNUT to come out with the above
makes the point. Certainly on a face to face encounter!

<<<<<<<Anyway, communications directly with the Leica people, in a clear
and concise way, telling them the kind of information that they really
wanted to know... "Why did you buy Leica equipment and why do you continue
to use and buy Leica?" "What future products would you like to see, and
why?" "What do you dislike about the current products and why?", is what is
needed. Note the word future.>>>>>

Precisely!  This is today and it's tomorrow that is far more important than
all the yesterdays!!!!!

<<<<<Not"the old lenses are great, don't waste your time on new lenses" kind of
>stuff. Remember, nostalgia, old master photographer techniques, old lens
>formulas, etc... will not sustain a large modern company. New, state of the
>technology, and consistent designs, is where it has to be.>>>>>>>

You bet! And it is the same with photographers advancing with new
technology, if you don't stay with it, you get left behind! I watched
photographers working with digital equipment shooting the Games where they
shot medal final events, pulled the disc out of the camera, inserted it in
a laptop hooked to a cell phone and between races transmit directly to
their agencies in another country

Sometimes did that and went on shooting another event while the
transmission was being completed!!!!

And asking them "gee whiz why do you want to use that stuff when the old
films were better reproduction and you developed it yourself?" Elicited
unrepeatable comments for this family LUG! :)

<<<<<If you want Bokeh, buy an old lens. If you want the best resolution
possible, buy the new lenses.>>>>>>

And don't whine about the Leica prices you have to pay! If you can't afford
the gear, buy something you can! Whining about the price of Leica gear is
like owning a Rolls Royce then whining about the cost of gasoline it
uses!!!

<<<<The R8 design is, as someone said in the meeting, "like holding a
woman". But it has to be consistent. Consistency even means "being market
ready.">>>>>>>

True enough!!! The gentle curves and comfort in hand of the R8 is just as
warming as "holding a comfy body gently in hand  and arms!" :)

Damn I can hardly wait to get my replacement warm comfy body!!! :) :) :)

Thanks for the European post Jim, nice to hear how other LUGNUTS do their
thing on trips, working or holidays when carrying our Leicas.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant