Subject: [Leica] Leica's Future
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Brick wrote:

- --- snip ---
They want to know what you want. What would make you upgrade. What
would it
take for you to spend money on new Leica products. Not a re-production
of
an old lens or camera. You can buy these by the train load on the used
market now.

Future. Hi-Tech. State of the Art. What will the "world" customer base
buy.
- --- snip ---

Hi Jim,

Very good post.  Hell, it was a great post.

I am a user...not a collector.  I am into current equipment...not
antiques.  Here is what it would take for me to purchase more Leica
gear.

I was some what disappointed in the New M6 I saw and used at
Photokina.  It fell short of my expectations and what I think Leica
needs to do to capture a larger share of the market.

Specifically, I think they need to go to DX coding and auto-exposure
to get people (myself included) to part with their current M6s and
move up to a new model... a bigger shutter speed wheel and TTL flash
is just not going to do it.

Second, they need to come out with some type of an auto-focus system
that uses the R lens.  Using Rs and Ms, there is some action stuff
that I can no longer afford to miss.  I was looking for a "ray of
light at the end of the tunnel" on this subject at Photokina, but I
did not see it.

Third, (and I know this is going to offend some people), Leica
(including Leica USA) need to come clean when they have a problem.  If
they are having a problem with the R8, admit it; if they are having a
problem with the new 90 asph, admit it.  I know that this runs
contrary to the current marketing 'mind set', but people get tired of
BS.  If I want to hear BS I can listen to Bill Clinton, I don't need
it from my camera company.

Forth, Leica and the other major camera manufactures are going to have
to quit screwing around with (1) prices, and (2) guarantees.  With the
continuing evolution of global communications, selective prices and
selective guarantees are going to become a thing of the past.  I would
hope that Leica takes the lead in doing away with their current
pricing and guarantee policy and set a standard for the industry...One
World Wide Price and One World Wide Guarantee.  And you can bet your
"Bippie" the rest of the industry will follow.

Lastly, I think it would help if the people at Solms were a little
more responsive to professionals who are using lots of their
equipment.  I have sent E-mails to people at Solms and I don't even
get the courtesy of a computer generated reply.  By contrast I use
primarily one particular brand of film which, like Leica, is
manufactured by a non-English speaking company.  Every time I send an
E-mail to that company I get a personal reply from a corporate
executive.  They ask my opinion on new products and marketing in the
US, and sometimes they even use my suggestions and send me a case of
so of film.  And at Photokina they treated my like I was the best
customer they have ever had...I can't say the same for Leica.

Hopefully, the new CEO Leica brings on line will make some needed
changes.

That is what it will take to get new and existing customers to buy
more Leica product.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Erfurth