Subject: Re: [Leica] Arctic circle and Leicas
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 06:20:36 -0600

At 10:32 PM 27/09/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have used an R6.2, R4s and R4 north of Fairbanks, Alaska when it was a
>balmy 43 degrees F below zero.  The Leicas worked perfectly.  Loading film
>was a bit delicate since bare hands were needed.

It seems that I recall seeing some old Leica adds showing film being loaded
with gloves when they introduced the new speed loading system.  The gloves
though were more like ones used for driving, not the kind that would offer
any protection in an Alaskan winter.
   I'm more concerned about bare hands on bare metal in the cold.  Any
moisture and you end up wearing the camera semi-permanently.  With mits,
sometimes my hands sweat a bit.  Placing them on the metal body might be a
problem.  Last winter I was taking down a tripod I was using for some night
photography.  It was very cold.  I held the tripod in one hand, the camera
in another, and not having any place to put the cable release I
inadvertently grabbed it with my teeth.  Big mistake!  My lips froze to the
release, and I must have been quite a pathetic sight as I groaned and
waddled to my car to thaw out.

 _
[o] -GH