Subject: [Leica] Wedding madness
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:38:38 -0400

Luggers:

Perhaps it's time for that 12 step program. Let's start by admitting my
problem. I love to shoot weddings.

The benefits:

1. People look as good as they ever will.

2. The situation alone puts people in the mind of being photographed.

3. There's alcohol to round out your subject's edges.

4. There is action and emotion by design.

5. The money is huge.

6. The hardware is simple and fun to use.

7. Print film - can you say latitude?

8. Pretty brides and flirtatious bride's maids

I started shooting weddings about 5 years ago when a friend's secretary was
having a quick low-budget wedding (shotguns optional) and I owed her a favor.

Turns out, big-bellied bride and all, I made some pretty nice photographs
and a few friends. I had fun. Word spread, I shot a few more. These days I
shoot about 20 weddings a year, and they are my favorite work. compare it
to shooting a home for an editorial spread. You go to a home and move
furniture, clean things, paint a wall or two. Set up lights. Gel windows.
Make Polaroids. Move lights. Wait for the sun to move. Then, about four
hours after you started, expose 3 sheets of film, 6 if you're feeling
uneasy. I'll take the wedding any day.

I meet both the bride and groom ahead of time. If I get a bad vibe I don't
take the job. If they are want something I can't or won't give them I don't
take the job. If they think I'm too expensive, I don't take the job. I will
not book a wedding through a mother of the bride under any circumstances.

I  routinely get invited to day-after barbecues and picnics. I have shot
several weddings for one group of friends. One recently engaged couple from
the group called me to check a date before they called the church.

Besides, for weddings I shoot Leicas!

Tom

Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria