Subject: [Leica] neg scanners - opinions please
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 13:29:31 +0100

>Look at my friend Tony Sleep's pages at
>http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/
>and follow the link to the scanner test results.
>
>Probably the best scanner resource out there.
>
>For what it's worth, if you appreciate image quality (and I assume
>you do, sicne you subscribe to this list) then the Nikon LS2000
>should be top of your list.
>
>David Morton
>dmorton@journalist.co.uk
>David.Morton@openconsulting.co.uk
>(+44) 171 917 6272

Thanks a lot for this link, definitely the best yet (though not enough
scanners tested so far - no Polaroid or Nikon LS30).

Didn't want to spend as much as the LS2000 costs, but am beginning to think
that anything less might not be a good investment (is anything digital?).
The more I learn the more it seems to me that thinking of buying one of
these things is far more fun than owning one - exchanging dreams about the
opportunities of a digital future for sleepless nights making it all work as
promised.

Particularly liked the quote from Tony Sleep's site, ' Halftone's Law' -
''The success of a technology does not depend on enhanced utility, technical
elegance, aesthetic superiority, economic efficiency, nor any contribution
to quality of life, but upon the extent to which it  transfers power and
control up the food chain.''

My commitment to this step obviously isn't what it should be - do dinosaurs
have more fun??

Alex