Subject: RE: [Leica] M6TTL desirable?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 15:27:36 -0400

 Rather than do a complete
> redesign and make an M7, perhaps Leica is going to do it
> piecemeal, through
> several bodies, figuring they'll sell more cameras that way?
>
> Jay

I think your comments are right on the mark. There is a definite, if
comparatively small, market for the M6 because of its simplicity and classic
nature. I, for one, strongly believe there would be a much largely market
for a state-of-the-art electronically enhanced M camera, kept as small and
quiet as possible, as M-like as possible, but with most of the modern bells
and whistles - high speed electronic shutter, much higher sync speed, TTL,
autofocus or focus assist...easier viewfinder for glasses wearers, built-in
diopter adjustment, etc. etc. I would hope that they will always produce the
Classic M, for which there will always be a market. And I would hope that
the "modern" Leica would have a lens mount that would take M lenses, even if
in a manual focus mode.

But an M6 with a single clapper-less bell, and mouth-pieceless whistle? As
my kids would say: I don't think so!