Subject: [Leica] Exposure
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 07:27:29 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> At 06:05 PM 9/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Jim-
> >15-20,000 dollars worth of camera and lenses- using an N90 mostly, BUT HE
> >SHOOTS EVERYTHING ON PROGRAM!

> Oh my gawd! Scary thought! What a waste!
>
> But... one of the sales people at K&S does exactly the same thing.

When I spent time with Antonin Kratochvil we discussed lighting and
perceptions.  He has done numerous heavy production lighting setups for
his fashion stuff years ago.  But now he uses a simple Nikon FE because
it has automatic exposure and that is all he uses.  Says he doesn't want
to get bogged down in technical issues.  Content is primary.  Yet his
work is dramatic, his sense of light often wonderful, but not "pretty".
Perhaps he is aided by shooting only BW where he has the ability to work
the prints.  But whether you shoot program automatic or not, first comes
the ability to see light and make your decisions.  I know I'm stating
the obvious, Jim, but I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.

See

http://photoarts.com/journal/SABA/

to find a number of pix and text from the book.

http://www.freedomforum.org/international/1998/3/23dream.asp

For photo of Antonin and text about a presentation.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego