Subject: [Leica] Found a good compact flash
From: "Andrew M. Moore" <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 18:13:39 -0400

For those of you looking for a compact flash to use on the M6:
you might want to consider the Olympus S20, which I found
today in a photo store while looking for a plain and simple flash
for my M6 (I'll be needing it for some indoor snapshots tomorrow).

I don't recall this flash being mention in previous threads about
"what flash should I use with my M6", so I though I'd pass it along.

It's made in Japan, and seems to be of decent quality.  I've picked
up other larger flashes that seemd to be ready to fall apart in my
hands.

The cost was about $79 (USD)

Specifications:
- - hot shoe mount
- - guide number 20 (ISO 200, m), or 14 with wide-angle converter
- - angle of view equivalent to 35mm (or 24 with w.a. converter)
- - auto mode with choice of two f-stops
- - manual mode
- - uses two LR6 batteries (common "AA" size alkalines)
- -
And my favorite features:
- - size: 2.2 x 1.1 x 3.2 inches (tall and slim, about the size of a
numeric pager)
- - weight: 70 grams without batteries
- - color: black (no red dots, but a nice silver "OLYMPUS" which I'll
tape!)

The wide angle converter is supplied.

There is no connector for a sync cord, nor does it handle bounce.
It'll probably do best for indoor snapshots or to take when traveling
"just in case".  I'll be giving it a good workout, and if there's any
interest, I'll be glad to summarize.

Andrew