Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 35/2 Summicron-M ASPH
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 22:55:23 -0400 (EDT)

> Just curious: why are you using the ASPH version less than the old one?
> I have the old one (code 11309) but I always thought the the ASPH is the
> ultimate lens, bar none.

That's correct -- and my own side-by-side comparisons confirmed that it
is in fact superior at f2 and f2.8.  However, my chrome ASPH is much
larger and much heavier than the non-ASPH.  I carry the M6 & 35 at all
times, and the non-ASPH is more "carry friendly" for these reasons.  In
most cases (mostly amateur use), I'll never be bothered by the slight
optical differences between the two lenses.

Believe me, it hasn't been an easy decision as to which one to get
rid of!  I guess I could still settle for either one.

Andrew