Subject: Re: [Leica] M 35mm RF for Leica M3
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 15:05:33 -0500

I recently sold a mint RF-Summicron and replaced it with a new
Summicron.  Now that I've made the change, I'm not sure I don't regret
it.

Certainly the new (4th generation) Summicron is a great lens. It has
higher contrast than the older lens and it produces about the purist
whites in K25 transparencies that I've ever seen.  However, it doesn't
feel as well made as the earlier lens, especially the diaphragm control
seems rather cheaply implemented.

Also, using the new lens on an M3 simply doesn't work for me w/o the
goggles. Even taping over the frame window isn't a satisfactory solution
(IMHO).   I never had a problem with the weight or balance of the
RF-Summicron on the M3.

BTW, I use an old hard case made by Leica which will accommodate the M3
w/Rigid Summicron along with the RF-Summicron attached to a 90 Elmarit.
This old case also accommodates a couple of filters as well as the
swing-out polarizer.

Bud