Subject: Re: [Leica] M 35mm RF for Leica M3
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 02:59:30 +0900

Hi Roger,

When I had an M3 I had a goggled Summaron 35/2.8 which worked fine.
Being able to use the M3 finder without need for a separate brightline
finder was handy, but there are a couple useability problems
associated with these lenses (IMHO, of course).   =20

a. Size/Weight:  They are bigger and heavier than their non-goggled
camera bag, and the camera feels a bit different as well (heavier and
more top-heavy).  Due to their odd shape (compared to non-goggled
lenses) they won't fit most standard lens cases/pouches/etc.

b. Interference with M-Grips:  If you use, plan to use or might ever
want to use the accessory M-Grip, realize you will have to remove
either the grip or the goggles (some goggles are removeable) each time
you mount and dismount the lens.  I now dislike using my M bodies
without the grip, so this is a pretty big impediment for me.

So for me, viewing/framing is nice, on-film results are fine and
handling during use is no problem (it is not more difficult to focus
or adjust aperture with goggles).  It's carrying the thing around,
making room for it in smaller bags and mounting/dismounting that cause
problems for me.  It might be helpful if you can find one to try in a
nearby dealer so you know how it mounts and feels before buying.  Let
us know what you do!

Best Regards,

PB

On Sun, 04 Oct 1998 10:58:44 -0700, "Roger L. Bunting"
<rlbunting@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

>What are the drawbacks (if any) of making a 35mm RF (bug-eye) M-series =
lens my second lens.=20

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp