Subject: Re: [Leica] Vacation Advice
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 07:45:12 +0200

Hi Tina,

I have travelled a lot in Poland and the Czech Republic. Contrary to what
someone from Canada wrote on the list, it is NOT close to Sarajevo and the
trouble in Balkans--I wish people in North America would look at maps
occasionally...In any event, Prague is a beautiful city but I do not know how
much local culture is left--it is very Westernized, and the athmosphere (and
prices!) is just like in any Western European capital. In Poland, there are
some nice winter sports resorts in the mountains in the Southern part of the
country, such as Zakopane (the most famous) and Kudowa. You will find villages,
snow, quite cold, and reasonable prices. It is also close to the Czech border,
so a side trip to Prague would be easy, provided the roads are not closed by
snow. For example, the distance from Kudowa to Prague is about 150 km. I have
been there in the summer only, and certainly my children enjoyed themselves.
There are many hotels, B&Bs and private houses in the area, so I am sure that
you could find suitable accomodations.

The only problem would be the part about immersion in the local culture. You
will face a language barrier. Most people in Poland do not speak any foreign
languages other than Russian (it was compulsory in school during Communist
times). Some older people speak German--in general, German used to be the
foreign language of choice in Eastern Europe, now replaced by English which is
more prevalent among younger people in the cities, but in the countryside you
may have some difficulty. If you do stick to "touristy" places like Kudowa or
Zakopane, you will have a much better chance of finding people who speak
English or German, though.

You can e-mail me privately if you would like more information.

Nathan

Tina Manley wrote:

>  we have narrowed our choices down to Peru and Eastern
> Europe.  So far, we have not been able to find houses to rent in Peru and
> are very leery of joining the organized tours which are recommended for
> safety.  What do you know about Eastern Europe at Christmas?  Will it be
> too dark, dreary, and polluted or can we look forward to snow, picturesque
> villages, and Christmas traditions?  Does anybody know any contacts for
> renting a house in the Czech Republic or Poland or Hungary?  I would like
> people pictures, my children would like to ski, and my husband would like
> quiet.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks In Advance!
>
> Tina
> Tina Manley, ASMP
>
> <http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
> <http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>