Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica lenses over-priced ? I don't think so.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 09:42:05 -0400

> B.D. I don't agree.
>
> I'm sure that same lens made by Canon or Nikon will cost the same price
> or more.

Lucien - I know this thread is getting too long and drawn out. But...My son,
who is just starting out in the professional photo world, just ordered a
Nikon 20 2.8 autofocus lens through Nikon's Pro services for about $460.
Will it be around as long as an M 21 ASPH, or an R lens? Probably not. Will
it last for more than a 1/4 as long - of course...and a lot longer. Does it
produce high quality images. Yes. Are the Leica images about $1600 better?
No. Can a pro order a lens through Leica at a deep discount, as he can
through Nikon? No.

I'm not at all suggesting that Leica doesn't make great cameras, with
terrific lenses, and an amazing heritage. And I'm also not suggesting that
they aren't the best cameras made for certain photographic situations - the
Ms anyway. They are fabulous. I love mine.

All I'm suggesting is that for many of the products the price/quality ratio
is off in comparison to other high-end cameras, and the lack of any kind of
pro service is really the pits if the company has any interest in competing
in that market.

But again, I love my M6 and it will be my camera as long as I can focus it,
after which it will be my son's and I'll have to settle for something like a
G2 :-)