Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted and his twinky flash......
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:18:08 -0700

Duane Birkey wrote:

>Ah Ted....
>
>What about Gene Smith.... and a fair number of his pictures that used
>off camera flash to supplement available lighting.>>>>>>>

Hi Duane,

Yep he did that on a regular basis. He also responded to a question on
using available light, " Sure I use available light all the time. Whatever
light is available, flash bulbs, table lamps,................." etc.

He did it very well as many others do, even in using the "twinky lights "
of today. But that isn't what I'm referring to when I use "twinky light"
and M cameras during an exposure.

Let me try this:  First of all, the camera Leica as in M6 or earlier
versions have been used as "available existing natural light" exposure
machines almost from their creation. The lenses were developed for speed to
allow photographers to capture the beautiful moments of light on their
subjects, whatever that subject or light maybe, without using any other
form of light.

In my beginning years with photography, light was always the most
facinating part of the photographic process and still is today after 48
years. I consider it the success maker of most pictures, whether with
available light, strobes, hot lights, candle light or moon light.

Some photographers do absolutely magical things in lighting a set or model
and that is their thing, I envy them. However, my driving force has always
been "light" as it visually motivates me, whether it be on scenery, a
surgeon's hand in the light of the operation, candle light, sunlight or the
quiet light of dawn.

And I have no major concerns over any kind of lighting, other than when I
hear someone is going to put a "flash" on an M6. It just drives me crazy!
:) As I use mine (M6) in the nicest, wildest, warmest, coldest, foggiest,
littlest amount of light you can imagine, simply because I have no fear of
using light that turns me on in the first place. The kind that makes me
say, "Jeeeesh look at that!" And it's the light I'm referring to and not
the content.

And when that happens, that's all I want to see on the film, so when I or
others look at the image later we'll feel what I felt at the moment of
light visual motivation. That's all I want to put on film!

And flash doesn't do anything for you when you get that nice warm fuzzy
feeling of seeing light make a million dollar picture from a .5 cent
content!!!:)

My driving force on light is the painter Rembrant, the photojournalists of
LIFE, LOOK, Paris Match, Der Stern and some of the oldtime photographers
who had neither hot lights nor strobes. They just knew how to use the
existing available natural light.

Twinky flashes didn't exist! :)

Now that's my thing!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

<<<<>The worst part Ted..... is that you made me hungry for a twinky and I've
>got to wait until Feb of 99 before I can eat one.>>>>>>>

Sorry Duane, but I heard the government outlawed them and sent them to the
arctic to give "twinky lights" during the 24 hour darkness of winter! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant