Subject: Re: [Leica] The LUG
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 08:00:47 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

>>From time to time, there are calls in this group that we should stop
>discussing equipment, pricing and relative virtues of zinc or brass,
>and instead talk about making pictures.  How much more inspiring is it
>not to refrain from the equipment talk and discuss photographs instead?
>
>Well, I don't think it's a case of either or.>>>>>>

Hi Martin,

At one time I used to mouth off negatively about postings of collecting
Leica's, the screws, brass, mm's per whatever in the glass or the techie
aspects and not enough on results of using the camera, as in "Leica Users
Group!"

User's being, taking pictures!  Then you learn the true value. It's more
than just picture taking!

The most interesting thing?  If one takes a moment to realize this is an
international group of oldtimers and newbies and not one of us knows
everything there is about Leica. And surely, no one knows every single
thing there is to know about picture taking, this is the most interesting
group of folks anywhere.

Some still complain about subjects they have know interest in, well that's
cool, use the delete key and don't complain. :)

However, your suggestion should be well noted by all:

<<<<<<<>Rather than complaining about a current thread, start another. The LUG
>consists of our contributions. If you're bored with ramblings about
>minutiae of equipment, recommend a book on your favorite photographer,or
>experiences of your last "photographic expedition".  Remember, there are
>lots of newbies, like myself, on this list and we soak up all info
>provided ;-)>>>>>>>>>>

It may appear harder to participate for some, but if everyone keeps in mind
we "ALL WERE NEWBIES!" at one time, it becomes easier to participate than
to complain. Questions some folks may consider stupid and afraid to ask are
only stupid if they don't ask, we all have to learn!  With this group one
can save mega time and learn faster than any other photo location in the
universe. Simply because nearly all bases are covered through the
experiences of LUGNUTS while center focused on the Leica!

In the beginning it took me awhile to appreciate the wealth of knowledge
through the number of topics covered, but today I know I'm wiser due to the
LUG and the family. I've had the good fortune to shake hands of members in
other parts of the world, others have become close friends of my family
that we'd not have done otherwise.

Just a few thoughts on the value of the LUG.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant