Subject: Re: [Leica] strobe vs. naturtal light
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 19:43:29 -0500

At 02:36 PM 10/8/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Bottom line?  Do you need flash? Yep on some assignments.  Do you need it
>as much as you think you do?   Nope!  Just learn how to make what is
>motivating you in the first place work and you'll be cool!  And you'll have
>great images.

Ted is right. I use flash sometimes because the "content" of some pictures
I take (news conferences, or whatever) is more important than any esthetic
appeal. And newspaper reproduction sometimes in those situations needs
help. A portrait against light is great with high quality magazine repro,
or when my paper's press room is on, but there are times when getting
detail in the face is more important. I don't like those kinds of pictures,
and will never have one in my portfolio.

A professional knows the difference and when to make the compromises. I use
flash maybe once every two or three weeks (except for food in the studio or
whatever). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to use it. Just
some experience.

- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot