Subject: Re: [Leica] strobe vs. naturtal light
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 12:54:49 EDT

I am rather getting the impression that this entire discussion centres
about B&W photography.  Being one who shoots colour transparencies a
great deal, I would be quite put out were it not for flash.
Existing-light with B&W @ ISO 400 and up is one thing; ISO 25-100 chrome
(that ofttimes requires additional various light-robbing CC filtration in
different lighting) is quite another.  I would certainly agree that a
straight on blast from a shoe-mounted flash is going to produce a
specific effect that usually isn't what we're after.  However, there is
little resemblance between than and the skillful arrangement of multiple
small flashes (something aided immensely by wireless TTL) with or without
existing light in addition.  Photography, after all, literally means
writing(painting) with light, *any* light.

Regards,
Nigel

On Thu, 08 Oct 1998 19:43:29 -0500 Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
writes:
>At 02:36 PM 10/8/98 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>Bottom line?  Do you need flash? Yep on some assignments.  Do you
>need it
>>as much as you think you do?   Nope!  Just learn how to make what is
>>motivating you in the first place work and you'll be cool!  And
>you'll have
>>great images.
>
>Ted is right. I use flash sometimes because the "content" of some
>pictures
>I take (news conferences, or whatever) is more important than any
>esthetic
>appeal. And newspaper reproduction sometimes in those situations needs
>help. A portrait against light is great with high quality magazine
>repro,
>or when my paper's press room is on, but there are times when getting
>detail in the face is more important. I don't like those kinds of
>pictures,
>and will never have one in my portfolio.
>
>A professional knows the difference and when to make the compromises.
>I use
>flash maybe once every two or three weeks (except for food in the
>studio or
>whatever). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to use it.
>Just
>some experience.
>
>--
>
>Eric Welch
>St. Joseph, MO
>http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
>Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]