Subject: [Leica] Re: Europe: Street/museum photography
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 18:39:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Roger,

Sit down and get ready for European Photography lecutre #101.

First of all, my remarks are directed to the countries of Germany, UK,
and Belgium.  France has some problems. There is more than you could
ever hope to shoot in Germany, UK, and Belgium, so forget about France.

The people who take about equipment being stolen in these guide books
are as full of crap as a Christmas goose.  I would be willing to bet
that I spend a lot more time there every year than they do.

Generally, I walk around with an M6 on one shoulder and an R7 on the
other.  I wear a photo jacket or vest and do not carry a bag.

I have NEVER been any European city where I have feared the safety of
my equipment or for my body...and I have been in some very marginal
areas of London.  Unfortunately, I can not say the same about some
areas of the US...where I live.

Now, if you walk down the street with two makeras around your NECK and
a big bag over your shoulder, you are probably asking for trouble
where ever you are.  Carry your cameras over your shoulder, and try to
blend in with the local populas and you will not have a problem.  In
other words...try your best not to be an ugly American.  Yes, leave
your baseball cap at home.

End of lecture #101.

Regards,
Bill

"Roger L. Bunting"  wrote:

 It's been a few years since several frequent ventures to the
UK/Netherlands/Germany. During those visits I enjoyed the sights and as
a tourist took many street and museum photos. Now I am planning the
first of several return trips, now to Belgium, Germany, France and UK.
I'll be taking my M3, 50mm Summilux, 35mm Sumicron and a hand-held
meter (no flash).

Two topics

1) Many of the guide books I've read lately are warning about thieft of
equipment on the streets. That was certainly not the case five years
ago. Have things changed considerably? What do people in Europe do to
secure equipement if that is the case.

2) I'm looking for a minimalist bag to carry the three (body w/lens,
lens, meter) items and I'm not having much luck. I'd like to keep the
thinkness down (width of bag between body and "crowd"). With easy top
particular theme for street photography, I don't want it bouncing
around my neck. I'm traveling with another person and they don't
appreciate my getting too absorbed in what's going on in every doorway.
cafe or street-corner.

Any suggestions on either of these topics is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Roger