Subject: [Leica] re: neg scanners - opinions please
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 01:08:40 +0100

>Apparently the LS30 scans are being done now, and should be there in
>a few days.

Thanks for this David, I'll check it out.

I think I've temporarily lost interest in upgrading soft/hardware and
getting a scanner due to the expense and complexity  versus the demand and
utility. I spent a couple of hours this week converting files to thumbnails
to e-mail to someone who might be interested and it wasn't a great
experience. I spent a year studying digital imaging, animation and
multimedia. It was a great benefit and has changed the way I work and the
kind of work I do, but the digital darkroom just isn't a necessity for me
yet (but a chemical one is). The changes are in my understanding of the way
my images can be handled and the way I collaborate with people. The digital
darkroom is inevitable, it's just a question of timing.

I read something about windows 98 being allergic to some computers, and
there was a (your?) comment of having to get the LS2000 to get decent
quality. It seems to me that to make this step have any kind of value it
can't be done on the cheap - I want to do it soon, and might yet think that
an interim solution is viable, but I'll probably wait until it makes sense
to do it properly. This could mean a new computer (mine's 3 years old) and a
good scanner. Ouch, for the time and money involved I'd rather go
travelling, but then the trick is to do the digital thing in a way that
enables you to go travelling!

Alex