Subject: Re: [Leica] Pushing Kodachrome 200
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 19:53:48 -0500

At 07:24 PM 10/10/98 -0300, you wrote:

>stated " When the film is push processed, the color balance will shift in
>the magenta-red direction, compensating for some of the greenish artificial
>illumination present in most stadiums and other large facilities.".  This
>supports your statement about Allen Harvey.

I appreciate your finding confirmation. I think we could never expect
perfect results from such an action. But something William Albert Allard
did early on might be instructive. (It was to me!)

When he began to shoot for National Geographic (right out of school I might
add) he had only shot black and white. When they gave him a bag full of
Kodachrome and Ektachrome he shot it just like black and white. In
available light. And the colors, though not accurate, were quite
interesting. And he's never looked back. According to David Allen Harvey,
National Geographic photographers consider Allard, and Sam Abell, to be the
most accomplished "artists" who work for NG. That doesn't mean more skilled
technically, but those who are able to "realize" their visions with the way
they make pictures. To see the light and use it - like Ted. And Leica
cameras and lenses play a roll in that. Not because they're sharp or
anything, but the way they work with light.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot