Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #363
From: "Raven Visionary Arts" <leonine@redshift.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:32:56 -0700

"I have a Contax SLR with several lenses that I use in my research
laboratory and am impressed with the quality of the images it produces, but
have never felt any special interest towards this tool. I cannot even recall
its model number; I just use the thing. This is probably the right way to
treat cameras. However, I do not practice my own preaching when it comes to
my Leica rangefinders. I treat and love them almost as if they are my
children."

I think Glenn Robinson has captured the Leica mystique beautifully in that
quote. So many cameras come and go. They have no personality, no identity.
Many have fancy features, which, when it comes to the basic technique of
photography, amount to nothing. And most do take good pictures, at least
from a technical point of view: they have sharp lenses, accurate shutters
and do manage to hold the film flat. But how many last? How many really help
the photographer to see into creation with the kind of power a real artist
needs to have? Only a handful. Personally, I wouldn't trade my M2 for an M6,
my unmetered Nikon F for an F5 or, for that matter, any other 35mm cameras.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read that some Leica users want
Leica to come out with an M7, a camera with an electronic shutter and
various other technological "advancements." Why? So they can have a $5000
point & shoot!? Don't they realize that the essence of a Leica is the very
fact that it IS so simple? Frankly, I think it's tragic that Leica no longer
makes an "M" without a built-in meter. Do they think the only reason that
people have M2s, M3s & M4s is because they can't afford M6s?! Has it ever
occurred to them that perhaps the M2 is a purer, finer tool than the M6 and
that's why some people choose it? If Leica should do anything it should be
to remake the M2, precisely as it was made in 1959. (Of course, it would
cost twice as much as an M6 to make it as well as they made it then!) Of all
the great camera manufacturers, it seems that only Hasselblad understands
the value of manual cameras. IMHO it's the beginners, the rich amateurs and
the hack pros who are so entranced with technology-in other words, the ones
with the least vision and the sloppiest technique. They want the camera to
compensate for their own inadequacies. They look for the camera with the
most metering modes, with the best autofocus, the fastest motor drive. They
search through chemical catalogs and photo recipe books for esoteric
developers and toners. They compare resolution test charts (and prices) to
find which is the "best" lens. They study the Zone System before they learn
the "Sunny 16" rule. Then they take their junky images, scan them and
manipulate them in PhotoShop. They forget (or never knew) that most of the
greatest pictures ever taken were taken with manual, unmetered cameras and
common materials. Cartier-Bresson, Gene Smith, Edward Weston, Paul Strand,
etc. These people used cameras that most photographic technophiles would
turn their noses up at. Screw mount Leicas, wooden 8x10's with clunky
shutters and uncoated lenses, etc. And they didn't need built-in meters
because they understood exposure. Last year I purchased a 10" WF Ektar for
my old Deardorff. I wanted to save a few bucks so I got one with "polishing
marks" on the front element. Only later did I discover what magic this lens
is able to create, polishing marks and all. Needless to say, I wouldn't
trade it for a modern lens under any circumstances. Most of today's
equipment feels dead and sterile to me. Soulless. Not so my M2, my "F", my
old 8x10 outfit. They let me do what I do best: make photographs. In other
words, they get out of the way. And how few cameras are able to do that.

Peter Hughes
Raven Visionary Arts