Subject: Re: [Leica] Age and Lineage of Lenses
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:27:46 +0200

Bob,

I am pretty sure that both your lenses are from the 90s, based on the chart in
Rogliatti's "Leica-The First 70 Years". If your 50mm Summicron has a built-in
lens hood, then it is from 1994 or later, and is the current version. As for the
75mm Summilux, according to the Leica Pocket Book, this lens is optically
unchanged since its introduction in 1980, with the only modification being the
introduction of a built-in lens hood in 1983.

As for sharpness, the 50mm Summicron is considered by many as THE reference for
lens quality. However, the Summilux is no slouch either. For more detailed
comparison, check Erwin Puts' pages:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

Nathan

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> Would someone please tell me the approximate age of the following lenses?  I
> would also like know if these are the latest formula of the lenses being
> produced by Leitz?
>
>      75mm Summilux-M F1.4  Serial Number 3525296
>      50mm Summicron-M F2.0 Serial Number 3615809
>
> In terms of sharpness how does the 50mm Summicron-M F2.0 compare to the 50mm
> Summilux-M F1.4?
>
> Your comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bob Bedwell