Subject: Re: [Leica] Age and Lineage of Lenses
From: budcook@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:19:21 -0500

Bob,
I'm pretty sure the 75 is the latest/current version.  3,223,300 was the s/n
where the lens was changed to include a built-in lens shade.

I also think the 50 is the latest/current version.  This version as well as
the previous version have the same optics but the latest version has a
built-in lens hood whereas the previous (third) version requires a separate
hood.

Note the following... the current version of the Summicron w/hood weighs
about 150 grams.  It replaced the third version (same optics) which weighed
about 195 grams w/o hood which replaced the second version (different
optics) which weighed 260 grams.  In my opinion, the current 50 Summicron-M
is somewhat cheaply made and I'd rather have the previous (third) version.
Another thing to consider is that when you obtain a 50 Summilux you are not
only getting a faster lens but also one with a much more robust build
quality (IMHO).

Either the third or fourth version of the Summicron is world class.   Erwin
Put's site has an evaluation of these lenses as well as other Leica lenses.
As Erwin puts it (no pun intended), you must use the best techniques as well
as fine grain film in order to notice any significant differences in these
latest lenses.

Bud