Subject: RE: [Leica] Peter Hughes, Raven Visionary Arts
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:24:07 -0400

I must say that I find this response a bit strange.  *I'm* an academic, and
I have a pretty good sense, I think, of what it takes to sustain a "modern,
hi-tech, etc" company, I think.  I worked for Steve Ciarcia back in the old
days of -Byte- and "Circuit Cellar" as a grad student in American Studies.
I'm always a bt amazed, especially following the smart, informed, and
interesting comments of Erwin and Marc and a host of others, to see this
sort of mean-spirited vitrol (see, I can do it, too, as I suppose, we all
could).

I'm pretty happy with my G system RFs.  I'm not sure that I'd be willing to
pay five K for one, though, which seems to be the direction Leica
invariably takes.  Who else will charge $30 for a plastic rear element or
body cap, $60 for a nylon strap, and the like?  Which I take to be
principal point of the comment that provoked this distemper.

Chandos

>Time marches on. Technology marches on. Only people from academia, or those
>with their heads buried in the sand, don't understand what is required to
>sustain a modern, hi-tech, public company, competing on the world market.
>Hint... it's not producing more M2's. More hint... it's producing R8's,
>M7's, ASPH, and APO products, as well as, state of the art digital
>photography apparatus.
>
>I'm not sure I know where you get the guts to tell everyone out here that
>we are all stupid and you are not. But you certainly are entitled to your
>OWN opinions. And you may indeed voice them. Actually, the LUG wants you to
>voice them. However, it seems like you are may be swimming upstream for a
>very long time.
>
>good luck,
>
>Jim
>
>PS... after you finally reach the spawning pool, and have a grip on
>photographic life in general, as it is on this planet (you will learn this
>while swimming upstream,) we will still be here and will welcome your
>comments and interjections. Don't be a stranger. But please make sure that
>the brain is engaged before the fingers begin to type. Please do not forget
>that the LUG is made up of very very seasoned world class professional
>photographers, photographic educators, all the way down to someone picking
>up a camera for the first time, and everything in between. You, I'm sure,
>fit in here somewhere.
>http://www.photoaccess.com
>Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
>Photo Access
>(650) 470-1132
>Visual Impressions Publishing
>Visual Impressions Photography
>(408) 296-1629

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~cmbrow/