Subject: RE: [Leica] Peter Hughes, Raven Visionary Arts
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:04:53 -0700

At 09:32 AM 10/12/98 -0700, Peter Hughes wrote:

>I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read that some Leica users want
>Leica to come out with an M7, a camera with an electronic shutter and
>various other technological "advancements." Why? So they can have a $5000
>point & shoot!?
>
>Peter Hughes
>Raven Visionary Arts

Well... I'll tell you, Mr. Raven Visionary Arts...

We are very happy for you that you have a research lab. And that you cannot
remember the model of Contax that you have. But I'm not sure that any
LUGgers actually care. Marc may have a comment???

You, cannot, and should not, speak for the millions of photographers that
inhabit the earth. You know absolutely nothing about their vision or how to
accomplish their vision. You obviously think you have Cartier-Bresson, Gene
Smith, Edward Weston, Paul Strand, etc's vision. That's been done. That was
then, this is now. However, emulation can, at times, have a cleansing
effect. It may not be the resulting photograph as much as the process.

So, Peter Hughes of Raven Visionary Arts, go forth and do your photographic
thing. No one here will complain how you lead your photographic life. But
don't whine and complain about what the rest of us do with our vision, or
what we want in the way of equipment. You see it your way, millions of
other people see it their own way.

Time marches on. Technology marches on. Only people from academia, or those
with their heads buried in the sand, don't understand what is required to
sustain a modern, hi-tech, public company, competing on the world market.
Hint... it's not producing more M2's. More hint... it's producing R8's,
M7's, ASPH, and APO products, as well as, state of the art digital
photography apparatus.

I'm not sure I know where you get the guts to tell everyone out here that
we are all stupid and you are not. But you certainly are entitled to your
OWN opinions. And you may indeed voice them. Actually, the LUG wants you to
voice them. However, it seems like you are may be swimming upstream for a
very long time.

good luck,

Jim

PS... after you finally reach the spawning pool, and have a grip on
photographic life in general, as it is on this planet (you will learn this
while swimming upstream,) we will still be here and will welcome your
comments and interjections. Don't be a stranger. But please make sure that
the brain is engaged before the fingers begin to type. Please do not forget
that the LUG is made up of very very seasoned world class professional
photographers, photographic educators, all the way down to someone picking
up a camera for the first time, and everything in between. You, I'm sure,
fit in here somewhere.
http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access