Subject: Re: [Leica] TID>Ernst Hass
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:36:35 -0500

At 10:57 AM 10/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I guess it only goes to show what a shallow person I am because I was
>looking again at Haas' work (yesterday) and I'm still not impressed with
>it.  It appears to me to be just gimmicky stuff using slow shutter
>speeds.

Well, you need to see more of his stuff, that's all. His blurred photos of
the matadors was quite groundbreaking in the history of photography. He had
no choice with ISO 10 Kodachrome but to blur them, but he had the vision to
see the possibility that blurred color photos would have an artistic
expression.

In one photojournalism conference (From R. Smith Schunneman's books
"Photographic Communication") Haas talked about studying the master
painters, and not other photographers to get ideas. That photographers
should be "renaissance men" (or women Tina!) so that we produce new work
with true innovation (for photography anyway). Haas had a wonderful eye for
color. Probably one of the best ever. But the reproduction some of his of
his work in the 60s and 70s can't do justice to his images by today's
standards.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math