Subject: [Leica] Summicron Soft Focus Lens
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:02:17 +0800

Dear Fellow Luggers,

While visitng my 98-year-old grandfather last weekend, I found, among
his collection of Leicas, a pristine Leica IIIf with a collapsible
Summicron 5cm f/2.0 lens.  Unfortunately, while the lens barrel is in
as-new condition, its front element is in a rather sad state.  It
appears to have numerous scratches which resemble cleaning marks across
the majority of the front element.  Interestingly, closer examination
with a flash light also revealed silimar marks on the other side of the
front element.

Are these just scratch marks, or are they due to some kind of
degradation of the glass itself, since these marks appear on BOTH sides
of the front element?  More importantly, do you think Leica is still
able to repair this lens, or do I have to find another Summicron with a
clean front element and perform a transplant?  Leaving it as it is, I
suspect I have a Summicron Soft Focus lens!

Thank you all in advance,

Joseph