Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W again....
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:35:18 -0400

Francesco-
I saved some chemical bottles from out Kodak processor- if you are on good
terms with a minilab person, they should be able to save some- I got some
really nice 2 liter and gallon sizes with heavy duty plastic caps- they
aren't brown, but if white HDPE is good enough for Kodak, it's good enough
for me! And they were FREE.
Next, you need a decent thermometer, stem type in stainless- about $20
A plastic funnel- I got several at the supermarket for about $2
Then you need a developing tank- you can get a cheaper Kinderman with
plastic lid and stainless steel reels for about $30 for a four roll tank, 1
quart size. If you want a more expensive model, check theHewes- the reels
are about $20 apiece, but some people swear by them rather than swear at the
cheaper ones!
You'll need your chemicals- there your can spend $15-20 for a basic set of
Developer, stop bath, Rapid-fix, and Photo-Flo 200.
A nice sturdy cardboard box- I got mine from the liquor store- to carry the
stuff to and fro will be-FREE.
That's about all it takes! No big deal, no major expense.
As far as darkroom stuff? I bought a Beseler 23C Dichroic enlarger that was
like new for $350 in the used section of my favorite camera store, for
another $50  they threw in an easel, trays, Falcon roller squeegee and
drying rack and an Omega Color analyzer!
Look for situations where someone sinks a wad on the stuff, and becomes
disenchanted, and wants to unload it so they can go get a skateboard or
jetski, and you can come out with some nice equipment at a good price.
The enlarger lens? get the best you can, since a crummy lens will negate any
advantage you accrue using Leica lenses. I have some Vivitar VHS lenses I
got 25 years ago- they were made by Rodenstock, I think, and they have done
great by me all these years- I have gone through 3 enlargers, but I have
kept these lenses!
You can set up a really nice darkroom for under a grand, if you shop around.
Cheers, and, in this case, Bask in the Dark!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com