Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W / Color
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 07:32:57 -0500

>Maybe I'm just dumber than the average photographer??? But good color just
>happens. Good B&W is a hellova lot of work! And even after one hellova lot
>of sweat and work, the result might still be only mediocre.

Jim,

It's easier to print straight color pictures, than black and white for
sure. And if you're doing some sort of Zone System, all that testing and
calibration and visualization sure takes a lot of effort. But that's simply
the "technical" stuff. That is certainly easier in color than black and white.

What I was talking about is that to make great color photos with impact,
AND to use color well compositionally, it's much more difficult to do color
than black and white, because just like juggling with two balls and four
balls, the one with the more factors to take into consideration (color = 4
balls in this context) it's harder to compose in color. If it's done right.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Borg-Cola: Not the choice of the next generation.