Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing birds
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:36:00 +0000

I recently had the opportunity to do some birding with both my own
two-year-old Swarovski 10x42 and a demo pair of the Leica Trinovid
8x32. I found that as far as power was concerned, the 10x did not
seem to offer an advantage.  At a distance where I could see a bird
clearly with the 10x, I could also see it clearly enough to identify
with the 8x.  Where I could not see a bird clearly because of
distance with the 8x, the 10x did not provide an improvement.  To my
eyes, the image of the Leicas was a tad brighter than that of the
Swarovskis.  Also the Leica weighed less, focused faster and provided
a wider field of view.  The two latter traits were especially
important to me because much of my birding is in wooded or brushy
areas where it was difficult to get on target with the higher power
glasses.

The upshot of this rambling is to see if you can arrange to use
 a pair of binoculars under "real" conditions to see how they
perform for you. Looking out a store window doesn't really tell you
much. Someone else's opinion may be helpful, but their eyes aren't
your eyes.

And if you haven't done so already, you might look at the Better View
Desired web page (http://www.biddeford.com/~sing/BVD.html) which
contains a lot of useful and objective information about birding
optics.