Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W again....
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:05:53 +0000

I'll throw in my US$0.02 since I started out with a bare minimum to
learn b&w film processing:

Changing bag whose shortcomings will soon become evident if you begun
processing your own film regularly - then you'll either acquire a
changing tent with internal supports or seal off a closet or small
windowless room for dark work.

Patterson developing tank and reels. They're plastic, cheap, and
effective and easy to load. If you go the stainless route, do stick
with Kinderman or Hewes reels rather than the cheap imports.  The
quality is worth the extra cost.  With the Kindermans, get the little
words and problems in loading.

Good glass thermometer with the markings on the glass tube, not on
a metal attachment which can slide up or down.

LCD timer (try a Radio Shack) so that you can track your times and
agitation intervals.

A couple of graduates large enough to handle the chemistry you'll
need for one run along with some Pyrex measuring pitchers from the
kitchen section of a discount store.

Beyond that, just start out with the recommended time and temperature
settings for whatever chemistry you choose.

And have fun!

Roy