Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Purchase
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:39:11 +0200

Hi Tarik and welcome to the Leica addiction :-)

Whether you prefer the "regular" M6 or the HM (0.85 mag) M6 depends on what
kind of lenses you use most often, whether you wear glasses or not, etc. If
you use mostly 50mm and longer lenses, then the HM is better; if on the
other hand, most of your photos are with 28mm or 35mm lenses, then the
regular M6 is best (the HM has no 28mm framelines, and the 35mm framelines
are hard to see, especially if you wear glasses). If you use the 24mm or
21mm lenses, then it doesn't matter, since you need an external finder in
either case.

As for lenses, the combination you mention sounds sensible (35mm, 50mm and
90mm). But which 35mm Summilux are you talking about? The standard advice is
that the old Summilux is not that great, while the latest ASPH is nice, but
bulky and expensive. Unless you need that extra stop, you might consider the
35mm f2 Summicron ASPH instead; it will save you lots of money and
considerable weight, while providing unparallelled image quality. I just
upgraded to this lens from my old 35mm Summicron, after taking some pictures
with a borrowed one.

A similar story in the 90mm: the current f2 Summicron is widely considered
inferior to the f2.8/90mm Elmarit-M, so again if you can forgo the extra
stop, you can save both money and weight. If you need the extra stop, you
should wait until next year, when the new 2/90mm lens shown at Photokina
becomes available. I have the Elmarit, and I think it is my sharpest lens.

In the 50mm, I have the Summilux and like it very much. It is my standard
lens on my M3 (my M6 is usually equipped with the 35mm Summicron). The
Noctilux is a wonderful lens, but again, I think it is a waste of money
unless you really think that you will be shooting at f1 a lot. Otherwise,
the Summilux or Summicron 50mm lenses are cheaper, better at the smaller
apertures, and weigh a lot less.

In general, the Leica nomenclature is as follows: Summilux lenses are f1.4,
Summicron are f2, and Elmarit are f2.8.

The best source of information about Leica lenses is Erwin Puts' web site:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

or the official Leica Camera home page:

http://www.leica-camera.com/home_e.htm

For actually buying the stuff, I assume that prices in Sweden are as high as
those in Denmark and Norway. So, you can save a lot of money by buying by
mail from Germany or other places on the continent. For example:

Foto Hobby in Frankfurt:
http://www.foto-hobby.de/

The Leica Shop in Vienna:
http://www.leicashop.at/

And since both of those countries are fellow EU members, you will not have
to pay any customs duties or additional VAT when the package arrives in
Sweden.

Happy shopping!

Nathan

Tarik Mackmood wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm very new to Leica and would love any assistance i can
> get.
>
> I've just joined the list and want to ask the simplest of questions.
> This is related to my newly refinding my love for photography develpoed
> by borrowing an M6.
>
> This has led me to sell my Canon EOS fully auto camera and concentrate
> on buying a new M6 with the possibility of 4 lenses with it.
>
> Can someone explain why one would need the new x0.85 magnification
> factor, are there any benefits, and will i get no framing lines for a
> 35mm lens or smaller?
>
> Secondly, which lenses should I go for? I can currently afford to go for
> 3 lenses + body and this will expand over time. The Choice it to go for
> 35mm f1.4 summilux, 50mm f1.4 summilux and f2 90mm summicron.
>
> Whats the differences between Summilux, summicron, and noctilux.
> If i budgeted to by the f1 octilux  50mm as my prime, would it work
> happily in its position as the prime lens?
>
> Thanks all in advance
>
> Tarik

- --
Nathan Wajsman