Subject: Re: [Leica] Take me to your (Leitz) leader
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:14:43 EDT

The *gadget* is codeword ABLON.  It is a hinged film-trimming template.
One end trims the leader, the other end the trailer if you are loading
bulk film onto an old Leica casette.  There were two varieties; one with
a square end, the other a "v" shaped end.  Either one has the same shape
for trimming the leader.

Regards,
Nigel

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:44:48 +0100 "Dr James Harper"
<DRJH@btinternet.com> writes:
>Date: Tue, 20 Oct 98 21:09:00 -0700, Brian wrote that in 1992 he began
>the
>LUG with the following question:
>
>>Has anybody worked out a good system for how to load modern film into
> an old Leica? I find that I can't do it unless I carefully take a
>pair
> of scissors and cut a longer tail on the film, but I often do this
> wrong and even when I do it right it takes several minutes. Is there
> trick? Is there a tool that cuts the long film tail (e.g. something
> sold for use with a bulk film loader?).<
>

>Brian,
>
>In case you  did not get an answer, I have a gadget, which says that
>it is
>made by Leitz,  which is designed precisely to do that.  It is in a
>dull
>chrome finish. Perhaps it was once brighter.   You clip the film
>leader
>into it and you then have an exposed  shaped edge which enables you to
>cut
>off the bit which you need to get rid of. It is probably extremely
>rare and
>enormously valuable therefore,  but I will happily send it to you as a
>gift
> and a token of appreciation for your work for LUG if you would find
>it
>useful.  It is very effective.
>
>There may be a few months  delay, as all my Leitz collectables are in
>storage at present, following four years working in Papua New Guinea.
>hope soon to retrieve them.
>
>Best wishes.
>
>JH

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]