Subject: [Leica] Helicopters and lots of trees
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:09:51 -0700

> From: Jeff S
 Hate wasting materials in any event: I've seen clearcut forests
> in British Columbia, and they are not pretty!

Had been meaning to give the latest update on the Coast Guard aerial
photography flights, and Jeff gave me a good topic for response. In almost
10 hours now of flying now around Northern California, at least 98 percent
of the aerial photos are green, meaning trees, trees and more trees. All
photos were assigned at random points in order to quality control a
resource map made from satellite images. I find myself hoping one of those
random points might let me shoot a meadow or a road, just for a change. But
man, there are a lot of trees out there.

Yes, I've seen clear cuts here and there. No, they are not especially
pretty. But everywhere I looked, trees were growing back. And the really
big, ancient redwoods we flew over are about 95% in protected forests now.

You can scarcely believe how fast a redwood tree grows around here. Four
years ago, we had to cut down about a dozen around our house that had
cracked the driveway, pushed over retaining walls, and grown to within five
inches of the eves of the house. (You really couldn't see the forest for
the trees!) Then we had to remove stumps entirely to keep the redwoods from
sprouting in the same place again.

I can remember when I had lived in New Jersey for about six months, even
tho I was raised in Oregon, I was starting to think that the whole world
was paved. It seems that fewer and fewer people understand the amazing,
renewable resource we have out here and just how much there is of  it. One
of the main reasons people have not seen it is because you have to drive or
fly over so many hundreds of miles of forest to get here! Same goes for
British Columbia, too.

So Jeff, bemoan the waste of paper, not for the trees that will grow back
again, but perhaps for the waste of silver that will never be created
again. I am amazed that people are actually promoting aluminum and steel
studs for framing houses. Last I heard, God wasn't creating any new
aluminum or iron, either.

Off my soapbox and back to cameras - along with the platform mounted
Hasselblad ELM, I have been taking an M6 and a CL with 21 Elmarit, 35
Summicron and 90 Elmarit for other photos. The best shots have been in the
hanger with early morning light streaming in. Some good portraits of Coast
Guard personnel have come from that light, too. From the air, I have been
getting documentation shots of rivers and bays, an occasional neighborhood
or building site of someone I know, interior cockpit views, or an ocean
vista that just looks pretty. The pilots like to log as many hours as they
can, so are usually open to a short detour or fly-around to grab a few
Leica shots out the open side door. So far, I have used Astia and Velvia
and really appreciate those great Leitz optics that let me shoot close to
wide open at 1/1000th.

Most fun today was buzzing a ridge about 20 feet above the tree tops so we
could maintain proper altitude on the Mad River valley a thousand feet down
the steep ridges on the other side. Also, we had just finished our last
transect shots when a radio message from base reported a parachute seen at
seven miles offshore. Still in the air, we stowed the camera platform
quickly inside, closed the door, and they cranked the Dolphin up to about
160 knots to investigate. About half way there, an update report came
through - the parachute was actually a weather balloon.

Next flights aren't until next week, and I hope to try out the 70mm film
magazines on the Hasselblad. A 100' roll of Kodak Aerochrome HS just
arrived today, so I have a couple of days to test it and the bigger
magazines that hold 70 exposures. (Am having trouble finding 70mm 'chromes
tho as this was the last roll in stock at a specialty supplier. Does anyone
have info? I am also looking for an extra 12 exposure back.) Then back to
photographing lots of trees again.

When Greg Achenbach reported on his visit with me here in Eureka a couple
months ago, he gave me my LUG "handle" which has been fun to use. Little
did I know then how prophetic he would be.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger