Subject: [Leica] Another Puzzling Dilemma
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:59:10 +0100

I just got back from a few days away where I found a trio of early M lenses
for sale for a very cheap price, well, silly really!
35/3.5 Summaron, 50/2 Collapsible Summicron and 90/4 Collapsible Elmar.
The intrigue lies with the Summaron, it keys in the 50mm frame so you'd
think it was for the M3, but there are no goggles on it, nor any marks where
they could have been attached, the whole lens looks original, the frame
finder keying lug has not been re-worked at all.
The only thought I've had is that maybe early 35mm lenses for the M3 were
available before the goggles solution was invented? The frame line
illuminated was perhaps deemed irrelevant as the supplementary finder would
have been used.

Any thoughts?

Jem