Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W processing danger (long)
From: pchefurka@plaintree.com
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 98 13:47:25 -0500

     Sensitization is a common problem with developers.  A darkroom tech I
     worked with developed a sensitivity to Selectol (I think it's a
     reaction to the Metol) after several years of exposure.  The skin on
     his hands would crack wide open after a couple of days in the
     darkroom.

     My wife who worked in a color lab dealt with a Kodak rep who used to
     work in their labs, but developed such a sensitivity that he had to
     switch over to sales.  When he visited the lab he couldn't go past the
     reception area - the airborn chemicals in the lab itself could trigger
     a severe reaction.

     I had heard that hydroquinone-based developers are much less likely to
     cause problems than Metol.  Can anyone speak to this?

     Paul

Author:  <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us > at internet
Date:    10/23/98 12:04 PM

>I don't doubt that for a second ;-)  My point was rather that I suspect
>there might be chemicals that float around in the atmosphere of dark-
>rooms, that are not too good to consume.
>
>I'm probably just being over-cautious.  I don't know all that much about
>chemistry, so I tend to be terrified of the stuff ;-)

I guess I should say something about darkroom chemistry. I processed film
and prints for 20 years with absolutely no problems.  No gloves, hands in
the Dektol trays, little splashes, little spills, no big deal.  Then after
an assignment heavy Christmas season at work and lots of January film
processing at home, it happened.  It started as a itchy 1" spot on my
stomach on Friday Jan. 17th in 1992.