Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-RAY report
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 23:50:14 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:

SNIP

> And as far as hand check?   I think it has to do with the security staff on
> duty, many of these people are not the brightest in the world and if they
> are told everything goes through and nothing about film hand check, then
> everything goes through.

SNIP

> ted

Ted,

When returning from France via Paris last January I pulled out my clear
plastic bag of exposed and unexposed film for hand inspection. I
indicated to the security agent that there was TMZ, which of course has
a 3200 marking on the film cassette. Normally, I remove all film from
boxes and plastic canisters but I don't with the TMZ because the box
says to avoid x-rays. He hand opened each box, very apologetically, and
checked the film inside. We were both cordial. He was extremely
professional. He looked at the rest of the film in the bags and I was on
my way.

Domestically, when going through inspection, I empty my pockets into the
little boxes. This includes my Leatherman, my pocket knife, a couple
flashlights and other assorted metallica. But, I also pull those bags of
film from my camera bag and put them in the boxes that get passed around
the metal detectors. This gets them as far away from the x-ray machines
as possible and out of the sphere of control of the x-ray machine
operator. The people at the metal detectors are used to looking in the
little boxes at what people empty from their person. They take a look at
the contents of the film bags and send them along. Interestingly, last
time I had a couple rolls in the black Kodak canisters (instead of the
clear Fujis which I will often transfer film to) and the woman asked to
open them saying that she had once found marijuana in them instead of
film. I told her that I would never do that while thinking that we
certainly do give up more of our rights than we  anticipate when we
allow actions in the name of safety.

Carl S.